Gingerly Love


Ginger is our ingredient of the month!

It is common tradition for new Chinese mums to have a ginger based diet right after giving birth. It is believed that ginger will strengthen the mother's blood production and immune system. A typical dish is Ginger and Pig trotters in black vinegar (black vinegar is used to cleanse the womb of residual blood clot). I remember my great Aunt simmering this strange and smelly dish for several hours until the trotters were tender and tasty for my mother.

No, I am not going to share that chinese ginger recipe (phew). Instead, I have put together a refreshing Ginger Limeade drink recipe – great for a casual get together and it is a kid-friendly beverage. Miss Kristy & I love putting a twist on traditional beverages such as lemonade, orange juice and this gingery limeade sounds super chic (a great crowd pleaser I say).

Sparkling Ginger Limeade
  • 4 cups sparkling water
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 cup organic fine sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
Whisk together all these ingredients until the sugar dissolves. To garnish, add lime slices. Serve over ice.

Make it an afternoon delight with friends.
  • Compliment the drink with Apricot Cake Slices (thanks to miss Kristy)
  • Dress up your drinks with fancy stripe straws by Montresor
  • Like a Margarita, run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip it in sugar
  • Got leftover fresh ginger? Freeze it in a freezer bag or container (its easier to grate when frozen)

4 comments:

  1. I so so so love those gorgeous stripes straws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Im definately going to try that recipe, and I love the sound of the sugar rimmed glass!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great ginger ideas! I lived on dry ginger ale while pregnant. Helped with the nausea. Only thing I could keep down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know i love the straws too - I am waiting for yellow and grey ones!

    ReplyDelete

we heart comments xxoxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails