Ginger is our ingredient of the month!
It is common tradition for new Chinese mums to have a ginger based diet right after giving birth. It is believed that ginger will strengthen the mother's blood production and immune system. A typical dish is Ginger and Pig trotters in black vinegar (black vinegar is used to cleanse the womb of residual blood clot). I remember my great Aunt simmering this strange and smelly dish for several hours until the trotters were tender and tasty for my mother.
No, I am not going to share that chinese ginger recipe (phew). Instead, I have put together a refreshing Ginger Limeade drink recipe – great for a casual get together and it is a kid-friendly beverage. Miss Kristy & I love putting a twist on traditional beverages such as lemonade, orange juice and this gingery limeade sounds super chic (a great crowd pleaser I say).
Sparkling Ginger Limeade
- 4 cups sparkling water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup organic fine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
Make it an afternoon delight with friends.
- Compliment the drink with Apricot Cake Slices (thanks to miss Kristy)
- Dress up your drinks with fancy stripe straws by Montresor
- Like a Margarita, run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip it in sugar
- Got leftover fresh ginger? Freeze it in a freezer bag or container (its easier to grate when frozen)