I would like to introduce you all to another WAHM, Kim owner of Amity Invites & Creative Intrigue. She is known as the lighting quick invitation designer with over 220 designs on her website. Kim has also released new boys and girls birthday packet invites found at Speckled Freckle and other online baby stores. You will also see Amity Invites in the latest June edition of Peekaboo Magazine.
1. How did Amity Invites begin? Amity Invites started when I noticed that many people, including many of my family and friends, wanted fresh, modern and affordable invitations without the very common ribbons and transparent paper overlays. So while I was pregnant in 2005, I decided to create a range of digital invitations after noticing there was a market for children’s invitations. But after many people encouraging me that weddings would also expand my client market, I ventured into designing a few invitations to experiment at a small local bridal expo. After an overwhelming response, weddings have now become an integral part of the business together with increasing many other invitation event areas.
After the birth of our first daughter, Shaye Amity in March 2006, I decided to separate the invitations to my graphic design, print and web business and soon Amity Invites was launched in May 2006 so I could be a Mum to our beautiful little girl. (Amity means love and friendship so it was a great name for an invitation business.)
2. What is your favourite Amity Invites Design? I am loving my packet invite 'Fairy' design as it is a gorgeous little character that my eldest daughter helped me with and it looks like her. It's so fun and fresh and I love seeing little girls faces light up when they see it.
3. Which designers, artists or creative people inspire you and your work? I don't have a particular designer but I love anyone who is creative and can stand out from the pack. I can spend hours looking online and seeing gorgeous designs and read how they started out. The new wave of WAHM's and their amazing ideas are so inspiring to me.
4. What do you offer that is unique to all your other competitors? Fast turnaround as urgent invites can be done within a few days. I had one urgent wedding invitation job and they ordered first thing in the morning and it was setup, proofed, approved and professionally printed by the afternoon for the couple to pick up after work. The couple had asked other stationery businesses the days before talking with me and they all said 3-6 weeks for digital stationery! So I always get commented on my fast turnaround times and also that I let the customer know by email what stage their order is at all the time which customers love as well.
5. What is the biggest challenge you face running your own business? I have to be organised all the time with my two home businesses and my young girls. I love my notes and lists! Also keeping up with popular party themes and styles which I am always adding new designs to my range - now at 220 invite designs.
6. What's your favourite occasion/event and how was that celebrated? My favourite day was my wedding day in 2003. We had only been engaged only a few weeks when my Dad was told her had only 2 weeks to live and he told his sister his biggest regret was not seeing his only daughter get married. So when she told me this on the Tuesday night, we decided to get married that Saturday! We had arranged everything so quickly and through all the tears we pulled it all together with the help of our wonderful family and best friends. We hadn't told Dad yet as we saw him the night before to tell him and he was in shock we were doing this all for him but so happy to see me get married. So our wedding day was so special, with getting married at my Aunt's farm with Dad giving me away and only having a small group of friends and family there. It was a special day and I am glad I gave my Dad his final wish.
7. What would you say is the percentage of you doing housework vs your partner? Me 30%, my husband 70% as he knows that running two businesses and with two young children I do not have the time. He's the best husband ever!
Become a fan of Amity Invites on facebook.