The first I heard of Rhubarb is on a desert menu at a fancy restaurant. Is Rhubarb a fruit or a vegetable? It is like a red celery with beet like leaves. Technically it is a vegetable but it is treated like a fruit. So I decided to do some research...
- Can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Rhubarb is available all year round with best value being from May to August.
- A good source of dietary fibre.
- Rhubarb contains some vitamin C.
- The strange bitter taste is from the oxalic acid that is why it is commonly used for deserts.
- Crisp, young, plump stalks which are long and brightly coloured are the best ones to buy!
(source via fresh for kids)