Ingredient of the Month: Rhubarb

ingredient of the month - rhubarb
Another feature to our blog as most of us are foodie lovers - is ingredients of the month where I will pick less common ingredients.

The first I heard of Rhubarb is on a desert menu at a fancy restaurant. Is Rhubarb a fruit or a vegetable? It is like a red celery with beet like leaves. Technically it is a vegetable but it is treated like a fruit. So I decided to do some research...
  • Can be eaten raw or cooked.
  • Rhubarb is available all year round with best value being from May to August.
  • A good source of dietary fibre.
  • Rhubarb contains some vitamin C.
  • The strange bitter taste is from the oxalic acid that is why it is commonly used for deserts.
  • Crisp, young, plump stalks which are long and brightly coloured are the best ones to buy!
    (source via fresh for kids)
Some Rhubarb recipes:
Love to hear any Rhubarb recipes or tips you all have! I am yet to experiment with Rhubarb

1 comment:

  1. The rhubarb plant in my vegie patch is my favourite - I think because it is the only one that does not have to be replanted every year! Did you know that the leaves of the plant were poisonous? I shall be giving some of those recipes a go - thanks.

    ReplyDelete

we heart comments xxoxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails